Graphic novels have generally been accepted as an entry point for young, reluctant readers. But this limited view of the genre undermines the value they offer to all readers. Morrison (2017) gives us three reasons to support graphic novels for all readers. First, researchers have determined that the activity in the brain is much the same whether reading visual or text-based narratives. Second, both types of reading require the abstract work of making inferences and synthesizing information. And finally, graphic novels stimulate readers with elements of storytelling such as character development, theme, and plot just as other books do. For these reasons, advanced or adult readers should not be discouraged from reading graphic novels, nor should libraries need to defend their inclusion in the collection.
Beyond the above argument, the American Library Association through the The Freedom to Read Statement (2006) strongly advocates for each persons' right to read whatever they choose without impediment. While the intent of this statement is aimed at the content of books, it can be applied to format as well. For example, proposition one states:
It is in the public interest for publishers and librarians to make available the widest diversity of views and expressions, including those that are unorthodox, unpopular, or considered dangerous by the majority.
I consider graphic novels one type of expression and as such should be included in a library's collection in an effort to provide diversity.
In addition, proposition four states:
There is no place in our society for efforts to coerce the taste of others, to confine adults to the reading matter deemed suitable for adolescents, or to inhibit the efforts of writers to achieve artistic expression.
If ones' tastes are for visual graphic novels, then they are free to pursue that preference. And writers who are gifted with the ability to express themselves through visual narratives should be encouraged to do so.
I would also argue to detractors that graphic novels allow more artists a means of supporting themselves with their creative talents. And if graphic novels help more individuals see the library a place for them, then why would we wish to exclude them?
References
The Freedom to Read Statement. (2006, July 26). American Library Association. Retrieved from April 2, 2024 from http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/freedomreadstatement
Morrison, L. (2017, April 13). The research behind graphic novels and young learners. Northwestern Center for Talent Development. https://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/blog/research-behind-graphic-novels-and-young-learners
Thanks for this discussion, Karis--my blog response only addressed YA/NA distinctions. I recently introduced my 51-year-old brother to graphic novels as a way to get him back into reading. I told him the time commitment was about the same as a long movie for many of these publications, and picked a couple of graphic novels for him that would have made movies I know he'd enjoy (a little on the edgy/violent side). I also got him the graphic version of To Kill a Mockingbird with the idea that he could more easily digest a classic. It took multiple, adamant reassurances that graphic novel reading was a "legitimate" form of reading. I think he's still skeptical.
ReplyDelete"And if graphic novels help more individuals see the library a place for them, then why would we wish to exclude them?" This is very well said! I really enjoyed your post and the reasons you provided on why we should support readers who seek out graphic novels.
ReplyDeleteKaris, that is a great post. GN definitely require inferences and synthesis! I hadn't thought about it that way. I know that my dad (in teaching reading) really pushed that you have to ask the kids (readers) questions about the story to help them think about it and develop the skills of understanding what they are reading. I think having a good conversation with someone after they read a GN would be just as important and help the person think more deeply about the novel. And GNs make the reader consider what the artist or artist/author is trying to get across with the drawings. Anyway, I see no reason to not keep these in libraries, and agree the ALA material totally supports it.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a great post! I appreciate your source that promotes graphic novels for all readers and the reasonings. I've found that I connect with characters in graphic novels the same as I do with regular books. In particular, I love Nick and Charlie from Heartstopper. I 100% agree that people should read whatever interests them and if they love graphic novels, why should anyone stop them? As librarians, we should do everything we can to support them.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post about graphic novels being for everyone! You really broke down the benefits of reading graphic novels for any reader. The Freedom to Read statement sums up the reasoning why reading should never be limited to any one person or any one group. No person should be able to dictate what everyone else can read. GN books not only have amazing storylines but creative and detailed art that adds another level of interaction between the readers and the story.
ReplyDelete