Skip to main content

My Kirkus-style Review

 

The Great Divide by Cristina Henríquez is a well-crafted tale of the construction of the Panama Canal told by those closest to it.    

 

Abandoned by the French years before, in 1903 the Panama Canal project is now under the control of the Americans in the newly independent country of Panama.  The promise of work floods the country with immigrant laborers, one of whom is Ada Bunting from Barbados.  She is desperate to earn the money required for her sister’s surgery.  In a nearby village, Omar defies his father, a local fisherman, and becomes one of the few Panamanians to join the canal excavation workers.  Their chance encounter puts Ada in a position to become a caregiver to Marian, the wife of an American doctor tasked with eliminating the threat of malaria. Meanwhile, other locals are fighting to save their homes in villages that lie in the canal’s path of destruction.  Native Valentina explains her devotion to her hometown saying “…although she lived in the city, Gatún was the place who air she had breathed, whose dirt she had walked barefoot upon, whose streets she could follow blindfolded, the place where she had learned how to cook and how to climb and how to argue and how to love, the place that had made her.”  The reader can’t help but cheer her on in her fight.  The narration is well-paced, jumping frequently from person to person, including several minor characters who each represent a unique point of view.  The result is not confusion as one might expect, but rather a beautiful tapestry of this specific time and place in history.  The various storylines come together in emotionally satisfying ways, leaving the reader with a well-rounded story that feels full and complete.

 

Henríquez’s engaging narrative succeeds in giving a singular powerful voice to the many facets of the history of the Panama Canal not previously heard. 

 

Pub Date: March 5, 2024

ISBN: 9780063291324

Page Count: 336

Publisher: Ecco/HarperCollins

Categories: Literary Fiction, Historical Fiction


Comments

  1. Hi Karis,

    Wow, I really enjoyed reading this review and think you have a handle on the Kirkus-style! Honestly, I probably would've glanced past this title if I had walked by it on a library/bookstore shelf, but your review has me intrigued. I also think it's something my Mom would enjoy, so I'm going to recommend it to her, too!

    I like how you included information like page count, publisher, and categories; I wish I would've thought of that for mine... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to add that I received this audiobook free through Libro.Fm's program for librarians! https://libro.fm/alc-program

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you mention that even though the narrative does jump from character to character, it is done in a way that cohesively weaves everything together. I am sometimes skeptical of books that try to work in multiple narratives because the results can be confusing and overwhelming. Based on this review, I would definitely be interested in picking up this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed that you mentioned the narrative of several characters weaving together a full story. I think that's a struggle for books with several narrators, so I appreciate you adding that. It must've been hard to do a short summary of each of the characters, but you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your well written review. I'm intrigued by the book and it's not my regular type of read. And thank you for the link to Libro.Fm's program.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 15 - Connecting Books and Readers

What do you think are the best ways to market your library's fiction collection? Name and describe three ways you do or would like to market your library or your future library's fiction. These can be tools, programs, services, displays - anything that you see as getting the word out. My little library puts some effort into promoting the collection, but there is a lot of room for improvement! One method I think we do well is book displays. We have one main round display in a prominent place that is changed out every two weeks. The person in charge of this display does a great job and is very creative with themes and props. Our patrons are often take time to browse the display and also take books from it.  I am responsible for a display of children's chapter books, and there is also a picture book display area. I wish we had room for more because they very effective in getting books to circ with our patrons.  Two services I would like to add are book highlighting and a r...

Week 14 Prompt - Better Together

Consider yourself part of the collection management committee of your local library, or a library at which you would like to work. You must decide whether or not to separate LGBTQ fiction and Urban Fiction from the general collection to its own special place. Some patrons have requested this, yet many staff are uncomfortable with the idea - saying it promotes segregation and disrupts serendipitous discovery of an author who might be different from the reader. Do you separate them? Do you separate one and not the other? Why or why not? In my library (a small rural public library), I would not separate either LGBTQ or Urban Fiction from the main collection.   Reason #1:  Due to limited building size, we only have so much shelving space that does not allow us to separate our collection into smaller categories. All our adult fiction is shelved together to save space. I do not see the case for these two genres as strong enough to change up our system as it already is. R...

Secret Shopper

For my reader's advisory secret shopper experience, I asked a librarian for horror book suggestions for someone who is new to the horror genre. The librarian was kind and helpful, but also seemed a little terrified by my request.  She asked if I had ever read Stephen King. This turned out to be the only question she asked of me.  She managed to think of two horror books from her own experience that were short in length, thinking that would be a good feature for a someone new to horror. After a bit of thinking, she remembered that the library had printed genre pamphlets in the stacks. Together we walked over and found the horror pamphlet. The book suggestions were divided into the following categories: Gothic Horror, Historical Horror, Apocalyptic Horror, Ghost Stories, Psychological Horror, Vampire Stories, Possession Stories, and Witchcraft & Occultism. The librarian left me with this list to browse on my own, which was fine with me.  I selected a book from the list ...